If you are feeling a little low and want to find natural ways of making yourself happier, then the easiest way is to add happy foods to your diet. There are lots of foods that can actually enhance your mood and give you a natural high.
Try adding these to your daily diet:
1. Banana – These are full of tryptophan – an amino acid that helps boost your serotonin levels. Serotonin is the happy hormone which also helps you sleep.
2. Probiotic Yogurt – According to a recent study, it is thought the bacteria in probiotic yogurt can help prevent anxiety and depression.
3. Water – drink lots of water to rid toxins from your body and help you clear your mind. Water can increase your energy and reduce your fatigue – helping to make you happier.
4. Dark Chocolate – This is our favourite! Yes chocolate can make you happy dark chocolate is high in tryptophans and boosts your serotonin levels. It also contains magnesium which can calm your muscles. But the same isn’t true for milk chocolate which is high in sugar that can actually make you feel low, so best to avoid.
5. Oily Fish – such as salmon and mackerel contain Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for your brain. One study showed that low levels of Omega-3 fatty acids can raise chances of anxiety and depression. Omega-3 can also help your memory and keep you more focussed.
6. Fruit and Vegetables – these contain lots of vitamins and minerals that are good for your body and mind. Try adding fruit to your snacks.
7. Honey – a natural sweetener which is superior to sugar. It contains quercetin and kaempferol, which help against depression. Tip: add honey to your toast for breakfast.
8. Cherry Tomatoes – The lycopene in tomatoes is an antioxidant which decreases inflammation and protects the brain.
9. Spinach – Spinach is a super food which promotes serotonin production in the brain, and is also rich in iron. Spinach contains folic acid, which is a B vitamin that can have positive effects on your mood. The iron will help against feeling tired and serotonin will make you happier.
10. Strawberries – Can help produce endorphins because they are a good source of Vitamin C, which also aids iron absorption. Strawberries also contain potassium which helps generate nerve pulses in the brain.
11. Chicken – The meat in chicken contains vitamin B12. Low levels of this vitamin have been shown to cause tiredness and low moods.
12. Avocado – These contain serotonin which will help to boost your mood. Avacado is also good for your skin, hair and nails.
13. Green Tea – This tea has many health benefits, it is full of theanine which is a calming antioxidant.
14. Milk – A warm drink of milk before bed time can help calm you, the protein in milk has been shown to decrease anxiety.
Posted By: Anna Young Dec 9, 2013